WHAT A GREAT WEBINAR!!!
Leading international expert, Wendy Behary, gave a phenomenal presentation today for STTC on Covert Narcissism. If you missed it, you’ll want to catch the recording, because it was packed with information and tips for your assessment and therapeutic approach to this difficult client presentation.
Here are 5 take aways for you to remember:
1. The Covert Narcissist is much more difficult to detect than the Overt Narcissist because the dynamics are disguised as vulnerability and suffering.
2. While the Covert Narcissist presents as self-sacrificing, their identity is built on being the virtuous victim/sufferer. The “vulnerability” that they present with is a shield that hides their sense of superiority and need for ‘specialness’ in being such an extraordinary sufferer.
3. The Covert Narcissists focus on suffering represents their need for attention and reassurance, but no matter how much they get of that, it is never enough.
4. Because Narcissists are lonely and lack the capacity for intimacy and connection, they use a high degree of self-stimulation as a form of self-soothing, including alcohol/drug abuse, sex compulsions and gambling.
5. The perpetual victim presentation conceals the very painful underworld that they are trying to compensate for. The therapist’s job is to help these clients to recognize the harm that they do to themselves and others so that they can learn to connect safely and securely in their relationships.
If you want to know more about how to help this population, please go to our website to view this exciting recording!